Monday, February 19, 2018

Stories from a Traveling Salesman


Life on the road must be tough and if you've ever seen Trains, Planes and Automobiles, you know what can happen when you travel for a living. The best upside are the stories you'll be able to tell. 

Here are a few stories from a Reddit User that everyone loved hearing about. 



 

"Back in my traveling days, I was working with a coworker a few years back, and we were in LA for the week. We were done for the day, and wanted to go grab a quick bite and some drinks, so when we saw a Magic Johnson TGI Fridays, we stopped in.
Honestly, it was about 15 minutes in before we realized we were the only white people there, but I'll tell you what. I've traveled a lot, and I've never felt more welcomed into a place (besides Duluth, that's another story) by the patrons/bartenders than we were at that TGI Fridays. I had like three conversations going on with the people around me, it was absolutely fantastic. Wonderful few hours."

"So another time on the road, this time I was working with people at the University of Minnesota - Duluth campus. Much like the previous story, it was my last evening in town, and as I usually do, I go out (by myself this time) for a decent dinner and a few brews, cabbing it back to the hotel.
Let me preface this story by saying I'm a football and baseball guy. I watch basketball occasionally, but I know nothing, nothing about hockey save for playing it on my Super Nintendo back in the day and using a dump the puck glitch to score like 100 goals in a game, but I digress..
So I'm at some sports bar in Duluth, local-owned place, and I'm polishing off my 2nd beer, happily burping up the remnants of my burger, and watching ESPN. Order the third beer, start sipping, and become aware that the bar seems to be filling up around me.
More people come in. Then more, and more, and more. Bar, which an hour ago had maybe 15 souls in it, was filled to bursting. I couldn't even move my stool back.
So that night the Minnesota Wild were in the playoffs, and the bar was PACKED. The four guys around me "adopted" me for the night, explaining the game, exchanging high fives, talking and telling stories during commercials, and for that one glorious evening, I became a Wild fan. I've honestly never had so much fun at a bar (except Dominica, but that's another story) as I did that night with my four "one-night" buddies, hooting and hollering, screaming and cheering, glued to the TV.
Unfortunately, the Wild lost that night, but it did nothing to dampen our spirits, and we drank and laughed for a couple hours after the game ended, and I eventually stumbled on out to my cab. Great guys. I've never been a hockey fan before, or since, but that one night, damn I loved me some NHL."







No comments:

Post a Comment